Marldon, Devon

At Compton Castle, Marldon, near Paignton, an armillary sphere was built in the rose garden in 1983 to commemorate the four-hundredth anniversary of the colonisation of Newfoundland, which was led by Sir Humphrey Gilbert, whose family owned the house from 1329 to c1800 and from 1930 to the present [Stanier, p. 43].

See THIS LINK


To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK


Gazetteer Index Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK