St Albans, Hertfordshire

Richard of Wallingford (1292?-1336), the Father of English Trigonometry, came to St Alban's Abbey in 1314 after his degree at Oxford. Deacon in 1316; Priest in 1317. In 1317, he returned to Oxford for further study. In 1327, the Abbot died and Richard returned to St Alban's Abbey and was elected Abbot. In 1328, he began to show symptoms of a disease which was thought to be leprosy and which would have caused his banishment from normal life, but his abilities were so appreciated by the Church and the King, that he was allowed to continue as Abbot until his death. He started construction of a great astronomical clock which was completed about 20 years after his death by William of Walsham. It was the first clock to be clearly described, in his Tractatus Horologii Astronomici of 1327. He introduced a new and improved type of escapement, but it was too complex to ever be copied elsewhere, though Leonardo da Vinci re-invented a similar escapement. Sadly, the clock was destroyed during the Dissolution in 1539, but the book and other records are sufficiently detailed that Peter Haward, of Suffolk, was able to make a working reconstruction, now in the Time Museum at Rockford, Illinois. The case and face are not adequately recorded, but the reconstruction was based on a slightly later case in Durham Cathedral. [Gunther]; [Field & Wright]; [Henwood] Henwood shows some illustrations from the fourteenth-century Gesta Abbatum Monasterii Sancti Albani which depict Richard and the clock - are these the earliest contemporary (or nearly so) pictures of a mathematician? Henwood also shows the reconstructed version.
See THIS LINK

Incidentally, the Wallingford Screen in the Abbey is due to a 15C William of Wallingford.
See THIS LINK

Gorhambury, about 2½ miles NW of St Albans, was the country seat of Francis Bacon (1561-1626). His father built Old Gorhambury House in 1563-1568 and Francis lived here from 1568. He was a student at St Alban's school. He inherited the old house in 1601, enlarged and rebuilt it and then built a summer house, Verulam House, about a mile away. After his fall from power in 1621, he retired here. A doorway and some walls of Old Gorhambury House survive, but nothing remains of Verulam House. His tomb (or monument) in St Michael's Church has a figure of him. Some guidebooks say he is buried in the vault underneath. The present Gorhambury House was built by the Earl of Verulam, a collateral descendent, in 1784 and is occupied by the current Earl. It is open and displays various memorabilia. [Crosland]; [Glendinning]; [Eastman]
See THIS LINK

Lord Grimthorpe, designer of the clock at Parliament (cf under London), restored the west front of the Abbey in the late nineteenth century. His restoration work was not always well received, particularly here and at Lincoln's Inn, and 'to grimthorpe' was used for 'to do a rotten job of restoration' [Espy].

H.T. Flather, the crystallographer who built the "very beautiful set of miniature models of all the fifty-nine (stellations of the icosahedron)" was living in St Albans when he offered the models to the University of Cambridge and Coxeter came to see them. [Coxeter, Du Val, Flather & Petrie].
See THIS LINK


To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK


Search the Gazetteer:

Previous entry Next entry
Gazetteer Index Map form of the Gazetteer index
Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK