Education in St Andrews in 1861
The chief educational establishment is the United College of St Salvators and St Leonards. This establishment embraces a principal and nine professors, beside the usual working machinery. The number of students is generally about 80. St Marys College, in South Street, is entirely devoted to the study of divinity. The staff consists of four professors, one of whom is the principal. The number of students is generally from 20 to 30. The Madras College is by far the most important educational institution in the County, so far as the number of pupils is concerned. The branches taught are, English, the classics, modern languages, mathematics, writing, drawing, music, etc. There are in all eight classrooms and eight head masters of departments, besides assistants and pupil teachers. The pupils generally number about 1000. The Institution also includes a Female Industrial Department for girls. The Fishers' District School is at the east end of the town. The day pupils number about 160, and there is a sewing class for girls in the evening at which the attendance is about 80. There is also an Infant School in Market Street, at which there is an attendance of about 120. Besides these public institutions there are others of a more private nature, the most celebrated of which is that of David J Smeaton, Esq., Abbey Park; at which not less than 80 young gentlemen, from all parts, are boarded and educated. Besides the personal superintendence of Mr Smeaton, there are five resident tutors within the establishment, and five separate masters. Mr Thomas Hodge, West View, presides over an institution chiefly intended for the education and training of youths who have the army in view as a profession, which is only second to that of Mr Smeaton, both as regards the number of pupils, and the high estimation by which it is held by the public. Institutions of a similar nature are conducted by Mr Patterson, Clifton Bank, and by Messrs Cleghorn. There are also boarding establishments for the education of young ladies, several talented teachers of music, and two establishments for the sale and hire of pianofortes, etc, etc.
Founded and endowed, 7th April 1832, by the munificence of the late Rev Dr Andrew Bell.
Trustees, The Provost of St Andrews, the First and Second Ministers of the Parish and the Sheriff-Depute for the County.
Secretary & Factor to the College, Stuart Grace
English: Robert Armstrong, South Street.
Classical Department: James Auld, South Street.
Arithmetic & Book-Keeping: Rev Daniel Fraser, 8 North Bell Street.
Mathematics, Geography & Natural Philosophy: William Lonie, M.A., 5 North Bell Street.
Modern Languages: Vacant.
Writing: Andrew Bell Morrison, Northbank.
Drawing: Alexander Patterson, 134 Market Street.
Music & Singing: Edward Salter, (& Piano-Forte), 85 South Street.
Industrial Department: Miss Annie Sinton, Market Street.
Janitor: James Berwick.
Miscellaneous Educational in St Andrews.
Robert & William Cleghorn, (& Boarding) 43 South Street.
Miss Ann Lewis, (& Boarding) 1 South Bell Street.
Thomas Hodge, (& Boarding) West View.
John Patterson, (& Boarding) Clifton Bank.
John Robertson, Pianoforte, 3 Queen Street.
Miss Annie Sinton, Infant School, Market Street.
John Trotter, District Fishers' School, Gregory Cottage.
David James Smeaton, (& Boarding) Abbey Park.
Miscellaneous Educational near St Andrews.
Andrew Anderson, Edenside.
John Findlay, Free Church School, Strathkinness.
David Peattie, Subscription School, Strathkinness.
David Scott, Subscription School, Boarhills.
JOC/EFR April 2010
The URL of this page is: